Saturday, March 29, 2008

Why It's Good That There Are Females

The other day I was sitting at a table which had on it (among other things) a tablecloth and a salad fork. As I looked at those items, it occurred to me that if there had never been such a thing as a female, probably neither item would have ever been invented.

[Caution: Absolutely NO Lesson Ahead]

I cannot imagine a world populated entirely by guys in which one of them would one day say, "Hey, why don't we put a cloth over the table before we eat?" I can't even picture guys coming up with a placemat, unless it was a practical matter, like eating over the classified ads so that when you were finished you could just fold up the whole mess & throw it away.

Like many useful inspirations, this one got me to wandering further down the path after the first transient thought (if you are looking for a clue as to how guys' minds function, that was it).

Curtains? I doubt it. I just can't picture any part of a world that was exclusively filled with men that would come up with the idea of hanging colored fabrics over windows. Likewise for scented candles - especially any that matched curtains - or pretty much anything that matched anything else in the house, or existed just to make things smell better.

Guys can exhibit a certain genius for using everyday items in a variety of ways. Coasters? Why would you need that when you have old newspapers & magazines? Why would anyone invent a bathrobe when they already have towels? For that matter, towels could replace rugs by the shower, or just about anywhere else that you really needed something on the floor.

I don't think any craft items would exist that were not made of iron or wood - and don't even get me started on fabric softener.

It's not that any of these items are unnecessary, I just don't think that in a world with no females, anyone would have ever thought them up. And, while in many ways it would have been a simpler world, there's little doubt that it would also probably be louder, & messier, & let's be honest, it wouldn't smell so good. So, good job, God, on thinking up the whole female idea.

Maybe you have your own thoughts on what would be missing in a guy-only world. If so, let me know. And I think we can all agree that I was being honest when I promised absolutely no lesson to be had here at all.

BLOG NOTES: As always, if this is your first visit to "Leaving Nadderby" (especially if, God forbid, this post is your only experience of the site), you are urged to look for "Looking Back" from February 2008 as an introduction. Still working on notifications ideas & ways that you can sign up to receive updates if you want them - meanwhile, continued thanks for any & all forwards. - Steve

1 comment:

Mary said...

How about mailbox covers, bedskirts, and home decor such as wall hangings in general!?